Thursday, May 12, 2016

App Review, Followup - Color ID

A bit ago, I checked out an app called Color ID.   I posted an initial review of this app, and decided to follow up on it.

Several things have remained constant in the intervening time.   I am still using the Samsung Galaxy S6 for the app.   I still have no iProducts to compare the iTunes store version.   And, I have had no change in my color vision.  I have had a bit of time to try this app out in several conditions.


This app could probably be considered "abandonware".   The developers have not been supporting, or updating it.   So, it is as-is, and will likely remain so for as long as it is around.    There is no support for it.  

How have I found the functionality?
The app uses the camera and speaker.   It has no zoom feature, but a round centering section for it to recognize.   The default isfor the voice to be on, and to check colors every couple seconds.   This can be turned off, so that you can identify color as desired.   In the options, it offers "simple colors" "exotic colors" and "Ral colors".  Simple offers things like "Dark purplish green", "Grey brown" and such.   While not having seen them, they make sense from the "basic crayon box".  They also give the numeric code that it perceives (Brownish black #0a0e0f).  Exotic colors, I believe, gives a lot of new names to the individual shades (Dune, Woodsmoke, Rangoon) though still gives a numeric (Shark #232627).  I'm not overly sure what "Ral colors" means, but seems to give a mix of unusual names, and modified basics (Jet black, concrete grey, sepia brown ) and gives numerics (Tarpaulin Grey #4d4943).

I've found the app to be a bit helpful, but, not as much as initially hoped.   I've found that slight variations in placement of camera, or minor differences in lighting, can result in the identified color.   Sometimes these minor movements (a fraction of an inch in camera placement) can switch between grey, purple, blue and green.   The nature of lighting has an affect on this, as well.   CFL bulbs, fluorescents, sunlight, incandescents, an LED monitor nearby... All of these change the minor perceptions of what the camera sees.

It's nice, and sometimes helpful.  However, it can't be relied on.   While I can be easily fooled between blue and green, I realize there is a world of differences on the spectrum of them.   It's a handy tool, but it's not something that I can count on absolutely.

No comments:

Post a Comment