Sunday, May 31, 2015

Product Review: Sony Walkman NWZ-E385 16GB MP3 Player




Sony's Walkman line was iconic during the cassette tape era.  In fact, the product name became synonymous with portable cassette players, regardless of manufacturer.   Cassettes are pretty much a thing of the past, today; and the Sony Walkman product line has been present in the portable media market still (though a different manufacturer's media player has become a generic term).


My first experience with the Sony Walkman player was in 2007, as a gift.   I found the tactile interface preferable, for my needs, and the 4GB was adequate at the time.   With time, I would upgrade my device, a couple times.   I stayed within the Sony family.  This had more to do with re-evaluation at each purchase time for features and cost. My most recent model was the NWZ-E465 (16 GB).

The NWZ-E385 was purchased through Best Buy on 5/29/2015, with a sale price of $78.99.   My reason for upgrading was the beginning of a short in the headphones, though no issue when playing through USB.  

My first observation on the recent version of this mp3 player were some subtle changes.   This player now uses a standard miniUSB cable, vs the proprietary Sony cable used by previous models.   This makes replacement a less challenging project, when needed.   I also noticed that the volume and hold switches were now in the face of the device, vs on the side.   These may take some getting used to, though the hold seems to be a bit more awkward than on previous versions.

The "pro" side of the NWZ-E385:
  • Compact & lightweight (similar or lighter than previous)
  • Tactile interface (very useful for non-visual operation)
  • Clear screen for videos or easy reading of screens
  • Several options on the "home" screen (FM radio, music, videos, photos)
  • Good sound quality on playback
  • MiniUSB port 
  • Drag 'n' Drop convenience from Windows and Linux
Unfortunately, Sony, I found quite the list of "cons" on this model.   Specifically, in comparison to the NWZ-465 (several years old), I have observed the following:

  • Device enters "hold" mode automatically, even when not selected by user
  • Device no longer has microphone or voice recording
  • Hold button on face is somewhat awkward when not looking at device
  • "Bookmarks" feature no longer available
  • "Play-through" feature no longer available
  • Alphabetic selection now goes through groups vs individual letters (ie N-P vs N, O, P)
  • Does not recognize all tag information. Some genuine albums show as "unknown" artist/song/album.
The features I find most disappointing in this model are the removal of the bookmarks and play-through.   Play-through was nice in that it allowed continuous play from one album/artist to the next (if the mode was properly set).  The bookmarks feature had been extremely useful.   On the 465, this allowed for five separate bookmark lists of up to 100 tracks each, permitting on-the-fly playlist creation and editing.   While the E385 allows playlists, these files are not as convenient for on-the-fly use.    Given my normal usage, this makes the device rather inconvenient.


Conclusion:
While Sony has had excellent products in this product line before, it appears that they have taken a drastic step backwards.   Gone are the features that I previously found useful, and at present, the device seems to have been a half-hearted attempt to put something on the market.   I have been in touch with Sony's product support, inquiring if there was a firmware or operating system update which would fix some of the device shortcomings.   Unfortunately, the responses I received were "I don't know", and "there is a Sony file transfer software download".   The latter is merely an alternative to Drag 'n' Drop, which does nothing for the device functionality.  

Is Sony getting out of the portable media player industry?   After seeing the NWZ-E385, my guess would be "yes".   This device is a neutered version of previous models - of which I've owned and given glowing past reviews.  Sony lists a 128GB and 64GB device, but with a $1,200 and $300 price tag, respectively, they are not comparable products.

There is a strong likelihood that this player will be returned within the return period.  While I dislike doing this, I may find a better alternative in either an older Sony player or a different manufacturer's product.

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more with this article and wish that I had returned my Walkman within the return period. It has had (and continues to) have ongoing issues and I have received ABSOLUTELY NO support. At this point it is an expensive table leveling wedge, and nothing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went through the ordeal of a warranty replacement. The device would randomly freeze mid song. It would go into a "Cannot play [square symbol[. is not a recognized file type". There was no regularity or consistency. The device has a one year manufacturer warranty, which I was within. FedEx tracking says that the warranty replacement is "Out for delivery" at present.

      Getting to this point was not easy. Sony customer support was minimally helpful. I humbly believe that I was more product knowledgeable than their staff. I believe they were reading from a script, not from knowing the products. My success came from calling attention on their social media page - which got nearly immediate positive results.

      I've really loved some of their previous offerings. This seemed to be a lemon of a product though. A lot of good features cut. Please keep an eye, because I will be following upon the replacement. Good luck with yours.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a Sony fan, this mp3 player was a gift. I have not had the problems you have, but I do have a play back problem every once in a while. A song sounds like it is stuttering, but when I play the same song later on, it sounds fine. Haven't figured that one out yet, the song could have come from a Sony CD.

    After learning how to use Sony's software, I was happy to see I could convert my music to FLAC. After doing so, my happiness disappeared, NWZ-E385 does not play FLAC files! (Why???)

    I learned later on Sony released a new product that does play FLAC files for $1,200.00. That's a little out of my price range for what I need. With this new device out on the market, I assumed a firmware update would be released in the near future. Time has passed and no firmware update, (that's what I get for assuming). After searching Sony's less than helpful web site, there wasn't even an old firmware update for NWZ-E385.

    I have not given up on playing FLAC files on this device. There is a third party software working on this neglected over-site by Sony. Hopefully, they will finish before my batteries won't hold a charge anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete