Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Product Review - Cooler Master Seidon 120V Liquid Cooler

Some time ago, I reviewed the Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid Cooler.   This was just one of Corsair's offerings in liquid cooling.  Other manufacturers have released similar self-contained CPU liquid coolers, as well.  

Component manufacturer Cooler Master got into this game in mid-2013 with the Seidon liquid cooler.  Comparable to the Corsair models, there are a couple versions.   Cooler Master has also released a Nepton line.    This will be limited in scope to the Seidon 120V.

I took an interest in this product when it was new, but never moved on it until fairly recently.   25% off during a Tiger Direct  store closing helped make up my mind on it. 

From the package, it claimed to work with (pretty much) every socket processor (CPU) out there.   Since I needed something good to cool down a Xeon, I figured this would be good.   Previously with my other Xeons, I've used H60's, which have  worked straight out of the box.   Well, you know, they say something about "assuming"....


As I had everything ready for my assembly, I found that the Seidon will work with a socket 1366 CPU, but only with the Cooler Master mounting hardware.   This includes a special back plate.   Unfortunately, my Supermicro board has a connected backplate for mounting a cooler.   While some boards have removable backplates, the Supermicro do not.  Removal of this plate will damage the board. 

No worries, though, as my editing machine has an H60, though in an AMD configuration.   Easy enough, with a Phillips head screwdriver, I've switched the Corsair to Intel, and mounted it in the Xeon's case, and it's assembled and ready to go.    On to the editing machine, though, I find that the radiator does not fit properly in one mounting position, the power cords do not reach the headers from another, and a few other headaches.   This starts me on a game of Musical Components for a couple hours over two days.   Eventually, I get it tweaked up and running. 

Observations on the Seidon 120V:
My first observation was that with the backplate screwed down tightly, it still feels "loose".   With slight force, it's got a rotational "wiggle".   At first I thought this may settle down after the thermal compound has had a chance to heat up and whatnot.   Unfortunately, even with that, it's still been wobbly. On the plus side, though, it's only when rotational force is applied, which is not going to be happening while it's running.

My second observation, is that the Seidon is not nearly as quiet as the H60 was (and still is).The machine I am presently using to type this has two H60's, Three Cooler Master 120mm fans, and one 200mm Cooler Master fan.  It runs fairly silent, but for occasional fan spikes and beeps.  Sound decreases when the PC cabinet door is closed, though it's still audible in the room.

Frostytech measured the Seidon 120V at 54.3dBA noise with stock fan/speed.  The temperature, after sitting idle for some time, is, at present, 59°C/ 134°F for an AMD FX 4100.   For comparison the Corsair keeps this unit generally between 26-40°C, depending on load, and had the AMD running at about 30-32°C.   I will follow up on this after checking the thermal compound.




Conclusion:
I wanted to like this product.   I have had several Cooler Master components over the years - cases, power supplies, etc.  I generally trust the brand.   I wasn't as impressed in the end with the Seidon 120V.   It's a good cooler, but it does not seem to live up to the claims on the website:


Seidon

Cooler Master’s compact all-in-one water cooling kit that aims to bring water cooling to the masses. It fits in virtually every case, is compatible with every available Intel and AMD platform, and is as easy to install as a standard heat sink.

  •  While it does fit a 1366 board, it would not work with the board I intended to use.  I give it a pass, because it's an unusual board.
  • This wasn't the most difficult component to mount, but it got to cycle between several ATX cases - including a Cooler Master - before finally fitting in one.
  • "As easy to install as a standard heat sink"is not exactly accurate.   At present it is mounted in an Asus board on an AMD FX 4100 CPU.   Mounting required the board to be removed, Asus bracket removed, backplate fed through, backplate held into place for mounting, and board to be re-installed in case.   This may be a little different on initial assembly vs modification
Ultimately, it seems to be a decent cooler.  While the temperatures and sounds are higher than before, it still falls within tolerance, and the PC operating sound is far from that of a bearing going bad in a fan.   While the fan can be lowered (reducing the sound), it will also increase the operating temperatures. "Decent", however, is just that.  I kept comparing it to the H60; and it kept coming in second place.   Were it not for the No Refund policy during the store-closing event, I may have considered returning this, and grabbing an alternative. 

This doesn't put me off Cooler Master products in any way.   I'm still curious as to the new Nepton coolers' capabilities.   I'm very content with my other CM products.   While I'll probably "get used to"the sound here, I don't see myself replacing it, as yet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment